- Humans like to have issues summed up very simply. It's good science to find the simplest solution, but it's not always possible; sometimes things are genuinely complex.
... I am always saying we don't live in a black & white simple world we live in a full colour complex world. However the human brain is so locked into the "pattern recognition" , like finding faces in the wallpaper; often when we find a simple solution we stop thinking & just accept it. I call this COMPLEXITY DENIAL.
Ancient scientists have said
"Beware CERTAINTY" ... it shows the speaker doesn't really understand the complex issue
- Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one ..Voltaire
- If we begin with certainties, we shall end in doubts; but if we begin with doubts, and are patient in them, we shall end in certainties.
- Experiment is the sole source of truth. It alone can teach us something new; it alone can give us certainty.
- Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies. : Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
'A man who is certain he is right is almost sure to be wrong.' : Michael Faraday