| What I am interested in is not so much what is "nice", but what is strange and different compared to other places.|
Don't criticise Italy ...complain and things get improved- It is wrong and misleading to generalise and have racial or national stereotypes ... People have the right to be treated as individuals as within any culture a rainbow of different behaviours exist. However the width of some colours of behaviour is wider in some cultures than others e.g. the percentage of tea drinkers is higher in the UK than Italy so we can be tempted to statements .. But not forget that a great percentage of UK people don't drink tea.
- We also have to realise that even in one nation culture is not fixed but changes over time. Modern Greeks don't have the same culture as ancient Greeks nor modern Italians have the same culture as ancient Romans.
- One quite common stereotype I hear in Italy is "the British are so arrogant", paradoxicallly this is usually made by someone behaving arrogantly "thinking they know it all, but never having been to the UK. ... Yes before the war you could say that many British people thought the UK was better than ot er countries, but after the war that thinking changed. Certainly when I grew up the culture of self criticism was very strong nothing being above criticism despite their authority e.g. Politicians, royalty ..parents .. Children always say "why ?" but the focus of criticism is always oneself ..as how can one improve if one doesn't identify ones own deficiencies ?
- I have noticed that 2011 Italy doesn't have this same strong self criticism the UK does. Many people say "why do you always criticise Italy ?"
1. Tell people the truth, don't massage their egos by telling them what they want to hear. For me it is best always to tell the truth, how can we improve if we lie and don't give the correct information ..it is disrespectful to lie.
2. Seen it before ... I don't go around saying this mountain, church is beautiful etc cos chances are I have seen something more impressive before in other countries.have the same culture as ancient
3. Those little irritations really stick out especially when they cost me hours and hours and don't happen in other countries.
- No self criticism in Italy is a problem It seems to me 2011 Italy doesn't yet have that same level of self criticism, but it needs it. When people keep their heads down and don't criticise then the process of improvement doesn't start.
..here are some opinions mostly from Siciliy, but confirmed in other places in Italy
- 2. Insecurity in society - driving like they have small penises
- They are no where near as open and friendly as Albanians are
- 3. Why not just Rename The Country Chuiso (Closed) ?
- Chiuso - the most important word. 50% of the time when I get somewhere it's "chiuso" closed for some reason, cos it's siesta or Sunday, or they don't work after 5 or it's under renovation, or the workers have gone home early etc .
- 4. Strange Attitudes towards sex .. it's like the 1970's here.
- 5. Bus - no you are encouraged to use a car ..
- 6. Now I understand why some tourists Dream of Italy .. it's the Italy of 2000 years ago not today
- 7. 90% of Tourists Affected with this cancer. .. stop taking bloody photos ..they are all on the internet anyway
- 8. The Time for Traveling in Europe has finished. .. 20 years you could travel a round Europe on a budget, but NOT now bloody photos ..they are all on the internet anyway
- 9. TIME OF CAMPING VAN TRAVEL in Europe .. there is no worrying about bus schedules or costs, nor hotels. still costs €40/day per person !
- 9. FREE CAMPING AND WALKING TRAVEL .. is best
What drugs are the Lonely Planet writers on why describe a €90 hotelroom in the sticks as a bargain