Deep voice "every year coal fired power stations release over 40 tonnes of mercury into the air"|
- On The ABC Science show
- "Oh my god we have to close them all down surely ?"... that's what the normal listener is saying
- but hang on a moment didn't I read that in the US forest fires alone emit more mercury than that So it's not a true picture to imagine we are all being poisoned by the coal industry when more mercury is emitted by nature than by all industry
- Now that man made mercury and other pollutions are in addition to nature, but we can't really say whether we should be worried without putting figures in some kind of CONTEXT.
- Why doesn't the media give us the truth ?
- Ideally science should give us a true picture of the world, but mass media by it's very nature becomes a tool of the Devil in action as it spins every story into a hyperbolical headline.
- To manage the world along the correct path we could do with more science and less propaganda films. So I contacted them to point that out. "The reply was did I know Prof Suresh had found that mercury effects the brains of 40,000 babies each year .. we have to stick with published science"
- Look how they have misremembered one of their own programmes and then extrapolated unconsciously distorted the science.
- 1. They putting all the mercury down to coal, yet their own words just say mercury
- 2. Prof Suresh has come up with a revolutionary device for measuring mercury .. He doesn't seem to be involved with actual studies. Their own programme actually says that the 40,000 study comes from the EPA. When you check this a year 2000 report so definitely was not done with Sureshes new device. The study was a one off; a mercury industry site vigorously contests these figures claiming it's a poor study, cos it based an an extrapolation and assumptions about pregnant mothers fish consumption.
as ever The ABC Science show are getting too much of his info unfiltered from activists. This is a very common occurance ... one can only presume that since they are intelligent people then their unobjective attitude comes from some activist must have a photo of them with their trousers down or something
- The industry site claims
" Although environmental activists correctly point out that industrial pollution is largely
to blame for mercury deposits in rivers, lakes, and estuaries, mercury “pollution” in the
oceans—where most commercially available fish (including tuna) are harvested—occurs
nearly 100 percent naturally. It comes from volcanoes, forest fires, and the weathering
of mercury-bearing rocks. In fact, American coal-burning power plants are responsible
for only about 1 percent of global mercury emissions."
That's a big difference activists claim 100% of mercury comes from coal
- Of course natural mercury emission is difficult to quantify. A 1997 report can't estimate natural
- A current Geology Society fact sheet quotes "According to EPA estimates, emissions from coal-fired utilities account for 13 to 26 percent of the total (natural plus anthropogenic) airborne emissions of mercury in the United States."
- The EPA has a whole Mercury website, but the actual scientific data is difficult to pin down
- The Science Show did have one interesting segment
pre-burning coal in oxygen less environment increases power station efficiency from 31% to 41%
- I hope this one does turn out to be true.