|Your 2009 Inland Revenue tax refund |
- BBC Moneybox prog detailed a clever new scam You receive an email which looks completely offical from the Inland Revenue
"As a result of tax changes, our records show that you have overpaid tax by £350 this year so we you are due a £350 refund please click on the following link so this we can transfer the funds to your bank account. "
- There follows a page asking you to select the name of your bank. It then transfers you to a fake page exactly resembling your own banks log on page which asks you to log on
.. then a thankyou page "your tax fund is being transferred."
- Thus the scammers now have your bank log on details and so can steal your money..
- Don't let greed blink your security awareness.
- Moral again only ever log on to your internet banking by typing the address yourself... never from a link in an email.
- There were 2 other other clever scams on TV recently
1. You get home and there is a card from a courier company saying a Special Delivery package was brought to your house, but you were out. Please phone this number and pay the redelivery £10 charge by your credit card.
... guess what you give your credit card details ...but no parcel ever arrives.
|Selected to test Plasma TV scam
- 2. Someone rings up from a magazine. They have some nice new gadgets to test and YOU have been specially selected to be one of the home testers ... and after the test you can keep the Flat Screen TV as the manufacturer supplied it to the magazine for free... just one thing there is a £30 delivery charge so could you just give your credit card number over to authorise this|
.... bah your credit card is milked and no gadget ever turns up.
|Another Scam : |
- A call centre phone you and tell you that there has been a Ministry of Justice judgement that certain debts have been misold. They are contacting you as they have been selected by the Ministry of Justice to be their agent - "you can check on the details on our webite". |
- "This service will be paid for the bad loan companies so it will not cost you a penny, now can I just check that your credit card is suitable for this service. Please give me you credit card number and expiry date"
- that is the whole point they only want your credit card number, so they can steal from your account. There is no such judgement and when asked the call centre was unable to give a MOJ registration number, just saying "see our website". The call centre appeared to be located in India.
a Stew Green Opinion
|Other Crazy bank stuff |
1. - illegal automatic withdrawls
- I just checked my credit card statement I cancelled my CPP protection plan on Sept 12th yet I see they still took money from my crdit card on Sept 20th on Sept 26th they recredited my account.
- Meanwhile on my current account the Ukrainian bank charged me twice for a £100 withdrawl yet recredited my account on the same day.
- Ok it's not so bad that moeny is being taken and then refunded, but I wonder if it happens tha money is taken and not refunded and people don't notice ?
|2. - Credit card Company Finally refunds me for the payment they lost |
- Last year after I paid my credit card bill early in cash in a sub branch of the Nationwide bank ... they lost the payment in their system so that on my next bill I was rebilled for the £15 again plus a £12 late payment fee. I could prove I had paid cos I had a stamped and signed receipt of the payment from the sub-branch. I went into the bank in London and they let me phone the credit card office from inside the bank, that time the telphone service woman was quite rude and took me "for someone who was trying to make-up an excuse for not paying", she told me I had to pay again so I did.
- My father complained to them, but they never did anything cos of security as he is not the account hold. When i got back to the UK I phoned them twice and they never phoned me back. The 3rd time the woman said "your complaint is too late a year has passed" (well seems last year the woman in London hadn't registered what I said). then this woman said we'll credit your account with the £15 and £12 charge. How can they say it's too late to check the records yet just refund me on my say so ?
My guess is that they actually know that they are in the wrong, that's why they are paying me back, but that they are afraid of me suing them so that's why they won't admit responsibility ... oh well I suppose it could happen with any bank ..so it's not the worse thing ever.
|Card protection ripoff|
|- I signed up to CPP card protection a few years ago £10/year. Now I see that they jacked up the standing order to £35/year. That's ridiculous it's so easy to make a note of the card companies telephone numbers if I lose the card.